2009/8/5 Tim Dobson <li...@tdobson.net>

> Thanks Brian,
>
> That's made what you were saying loads clearer to me. :)
>
> As I had suspected, I fundamentally disagree, but at least I'm clear about
> what I'm disagreeing with now. Thank you!

Excellent.  Agreeing about this never gets anyone anywhere.

> Please see comments inline.
>
> Brian Butterworth wrote:
>
>> The point about the very specific examples that I gave was that as a group
>> "Windows users" have a strange and wide-ranging levels of understanding of
>> the system they are using.
>>

> I realise these are very specific examples so I'm not going labour any
> points about those specific examples.

>  If you started with Windows 1.21 or your first times is with Windows 7,
>> the skills you learn will stay with you.
>>

>> Even if you came to Windows via Mac/OS or GEM or OS/2 PM or X-Windows or
>> Xerox Star .. you bring along a subset of the whole range of things you can
>> do with Windows.
>>
>> Because Linux does not have the attitude of Windows, "a PC on every
>> desktop and in every home" it has taken shortcuts.
>>
>> So, everytime there isn't a usability study into the user experience of a
>> Linux release, there just isn't the attention to detail.
>>

> I'm not going to go into the pedantic semantics on what one means by "Linux
> release" (kernel.org are sure good at end user UI! ;) ) but I think it
> might be worth looking at this project from one of the major GNU/Linux
> desktop environments, GNOME:
> http://live.gnome.org/UsabilityProject
> There once was a time when functionality was the biggie for distro. Now
> it's usability and they are making leaps and bounds.

The first version of Unix I used was on a PDP11!  When I started doing
system admin for Unix I learnt both System V and BSD.  I used XWindows on
Sparcstations! So, I have a rather blaze attitude to "new" versions of
something I have known for a more than a few decades.  Sorry...

>  Someone goes, as you did "I can do Alt-F1, arrow, arrow, enter." you drop
>> some potential new users, because Linux "doesn't understand them".
>>
>> Given that a modern OS has huge qualities of these components, many small
>> UI "failings" means the Linux interface fails for more and more people.
>>

> "more and more" -> you don't think there is *any* relative improvement?

I'm NOT in anyway talking about improvement.  What I am saying is that for
"the masses" to move to Linux, they need NO barriers at all.  This is not
about creating a better UI, it is about having a UI that you don't need to
learn because it leverages the user's Windows "skills".

Only once you have got your users can you think of improving them.

> I'll assume that's just hyperbole.

No, I trying to point out that Linux desktop acceptance needs present not a
single hurdle to acceptance.

I've seen it myself many times.

You plonk the MD of the company, who used computers years ago, down in front
of a non-windows machine.  He click a few things, can't make it work
straight away and decided "it's rubbish, stick with Windows".

If you in sales or marketing, then you're going to stick a Machead down and
get them to use the Linux box.  Again, it doesn't appear enough like a Mac,
so they go to their backup Windows skills and still nothing.

The wide-scale acceptance of a Linux operation system will depend on the
people who make the decisions about purchase.  This is, surely,
self-evident.

As a parallel, remember the iPlayer wasn't going to have a Mac version.  And
then Flash saved the day.

How would all those Mac people in the media have reacted to a Mac-less
iPlayer.  The same way they did to 4OD.  "it doesn't work".

> Let's think for a moment about "start menus" or menus to launch programs.
> The actual name is irrelevant.
> [snip]

There is a simple way to sort this out ... make it do what the user expects.
 Especially if the user has ingrained their knowledge below their personal
perception threshold.

There was a guy I tried to help the other day who just couldn't get the hang
of the mouse.  Can most UI designers remember how they learnt THAT skill?

> I won't reiterate the article but just point out that as anyone on the
> latest version of ubuntu will know, notification windows ROCK now.
>
>  Someday, someone will stick a few million dollars into sorting this out
>> and there will be a "perfect release" of Linux that anyone can use BY
>> BRINING WHAT THEY KNOW OF WINDOWS on a personally deep level.
>>

> Well there's at least one notable multimillionaire throwing money at this
> at the moment.
> http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/223

Yes, perhaps.

>  This does not mean that Linux should simply ape Windows.  But it does mean
>> that as an absolute minimum it should behave as everyone (as individuals)
>> expect.
>>

> Including the requirement of antivirus, application level firewalls and
> $latestwindowsworm? I jest, obviously not and you are right that the UI
> needs to conform to standards, be interoperable and seamless from technology
> to technology.

Yes.  This is 100% my point.  It doesn't matter if it the funtionality is
"wrong" by some definition or other.  It is the user's unconcious
expectations that need meeting.

Who cares if the OS doesn't need an anti-virus (say) - the user should still
"see one" because that is what they expect.

> What would be really amazing would be if Microsoft and Apple participated
> in the http://www.freedesktop.org community, however that will never
> happen so I might as well forget that and point it out as an example of how
> developers are collaborating with each other to ensure consistent usability
> across their platforms.

Ah, aeronautical pork time.

>  I know I can use any interface that is presented to me.  I'm happy with a
>> VT100 and vi.
>>
>> That's the problem with Linux, it's designed by people like "us" and not
>> for "every home, every desk".
>>

> hhahhahah, now if *I* was designing a text editor.....

Vi was my second love, I started with ed.  On a teletype.

> *enter some mashup clone of emacs & vi in a Words 2007 UI with clarisworks
> support and textmate bindings*
>
> In all seriousness, I wish I could write something worthy of going in
> GNU/Linux distro - the people I know who contribute or have contributed are
> a lot more talented than me at least. The quality of code accepted into
> debian/centos etc is not for people like me, I can say that.

How about a BBC Micro 2012 Edition...?  FM&T need another impossible tech
project.  Be more exciting than "Bang Goes The Theory".

> cheers,
>
> Tim
> -
> Sent via the backstage.bbc.co.uk discussion group.  To unsubscribe, please
>  Unofficial list archive:

follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/briantist
web: http://www.ukfree.tv - independent digital television and switchover
advice, since 2002