The Baha'i Studies Listserv
> Does the Baha'i Faith have a stance on wether or not there will be
> Baha'i dependent prophets like during the Old Testament times (ie
> Issiah, Jeremiah, Ezra, Nehemiah, Obadiah, Zafaniah, Zekariah, Samuel,
> Ezekiel, Daniel, Joel, etc.) of the Dispensation of Moses? Jensenites say
> yes, but I do not know if the Universal House of Justice has ever discuccesd
> the issue of dependent prophecy in the Baha'i Faith.

While the phrase in the Aqdas has been translated as:

Whoso layeth claim to a Revelation direct from
God, ere the expiration of a full thousand years, such a
man is assuredly a lying impostor.

        (Baha'u'llah, The Kitab-i-Aqdas, p. 32)

What it literally says is "Whoso maketh claim to a Cause (amr.)

Here is how 'Abdu'l-Baha interprets this phrase:

The substance is, that prior to the completion of a thousand years, no
individual may presume to breathe a word. All must consider themselves
to be of the order of subjects, submissive and obedient to the
commandments of God and the laws of the House of Justice. Should any
deviate by so much as a needle's point from the decrees of the
Universal House of Justice, or falter in his compliance therewith,
then is he of the outcast and rejected.

        (Abdu'l-Baha, Selections from the Writings of Abdu'l-Baha, p. 68)

Obviously were a lesser prophet to appear it would be entirely
subservient to the Universal House of Justice. It is hard to imagine
what function they would serve in that case. Keep in mind that
Abdu'l-Baha suggests that *any* true believer has the station of a
'lesser prophet.'