That ring on your finger has a story to tell. Wedding rings are a tradition
that dates back to ancient times. As far as we know, primitive men and women
did not have wedding ceremonies like we do today, but early grooms are believed
to have an interesting way of showing their intentions. A man would weave a
special cord and tie it around the waist of the mate he wanted. The belief was
that when he did this, her spirit entered his body and she was bound to him
eternally.  However, due credit goes to the ancient Egyptians as being the
first people known to take their symbol for eternity "the circle" and use it to
signify the marriage union. They placed a ring on the third finger of the left
hand (a tradition we still have today) because they believed that the "vein of
love" ran directly from this finger to the heart. These ancient rings were made
of everything from leather to bone to metal. Some of these artifacts are still
being uncovered even as modern day archeologists continue searching for the
secrets of the pyramids.  Gold wedding bands--probably the most popular type of
wedding ring in the world today--were once a sign of great prosperity. Wedding
rings were also once used as part of a groom's bride payment in arranged
marriages, and showed the groom's noble intentions. In the medieval and
Renaissance periods, royalty and the wealthy often gave wedding rings encrusted
with different gems. The plain wedding band supposedly became popular when
Queen Mary I of England married King Phillip II of Spain in 1554. She insisted
on a simple ring without any gems.  Today, white gold or platinum wedding bands
are 'in'. The yellow gold rings are largely regarded by many brides as being
passé, a relic from their parents' era. Frankly, I'd settle for a yellow ring
with a 2 carat diamond anytime over plain vanilla white gold one anytime!

source : WeddingFair