Dear Mba Tika,

Berikut ada artikel tentang SSPE dari Manila Times magazines

Saturday, April 20, 2002

What is SSPE?

A progressive, degenerative disease in children is catching many mothers unaware
today.
It is a virus that results from the simple and preventable childhood measles, called
Subacute Sclerosing Pancephalitis or SSPE.  If untreated, SSPE can lead to stupor,
dementia, central blindness, rigidity and death.  SSPE has an incubation period of
seven years and the virus lives in the body.  And it attacks mostly male children.

The SSPE Children Care Foundation raised sufficient funds to take care of one patient,
Benjamin Raypon of San Pedro, Laguna, 17 years old and a bread earner of a poor
family, with SSPE Stage II-B.  Dr. Thaddeus Jose B. Bayana, Resident in Charge at the
Pediatrics Neuro Section of the Philippine General Hospital, recommended him on Feb.
14, 2002 for assistance on IVIG transfusion.  He received 36 vials from the
foundation.

Benjamin's illness first manifested itself when he started getting dizzy, sliding and
then falling last October 2001.  He was feverish for three weeks after which his head
began bobbing up and down uncontrollably.  When brought to PGH in November from San
Pedro, Laguna, he was diagnosed to have SSPE.  But for lack of money to have the boy
treated, they returned to Laguna.  On Feb. 10, 2002, the boy was again brought to PGH
because he was stiffening and jerking.  This time, the mother begged the doctors to
help save her son's life.

Luckily, the SSPE Children Care Foundation had the funds to help Benjamin and he was
soon able to undergo IVIG Immunoglobulin transfusion.  With several prescriptions in
tow, Benjamin headed for home after the IVIG treatment.  A journalist gifted him with
a wheelchair; otherwise, his stepfather, mother and a brother would have had to carry
him in their arms to board a Laguna-bound bus.

SSPE can be very frustrating yet this disease is completely preventable.  As
mentioned, SSPE is a complication of recurring measles infection.  If we prevent the
child from getting measles it would mean protecting the child from SSPE.  In the
Philippines, measles vaccine is routinely given to babies nine to 12 months, and given
for free as part of the government's immunization program.  It was noted that measles
vaccine res-ponse of younger children under one year of age appear to be less complete
because of the presence of the mother's antibodies.  Thus, a booster dose is required
six to nine months later or 15 months of age or older.  EPI (Expanded Immunization
Program) no longer covers the booster dose.  Perhaps this is one reason why measles
manages to creep in spite of the government's effort.  The required second dose given
at age four to six or 11 to 12 and the recommended booster dose for age 15 months can
be addressed by immunizing the child with another dose of measles vaccine, preferably
a trivalent vaccine of mumps, measles and rubella, especially when administered at 12
months and older, because not only that the child is given routinely recommended
second dose for measles but also the child is provided with optimal protection for
mumps and rubella as well.

According to the Department of Health figures, measles remains a leading cause of
death among children in the Philippines.  As mothers and the SSPE Children Care
Foundation are finding out, it is also a mother's wellspring of grief, lamentation and
despair.  But the Foundation is working hard, hand in hand with caring doctors and
concerned and generous donors, to cap this source of affliction and nip SSPE in the
bud, by beginning a serious information drive on the deadly after effects of measles.

SSPE is a lifetime disease and there are currently 12 patients in the PGH list waiting
for assistance for IVIG. Generous donors may contribute Intravenous Immunoglobulin or
IVIG vials that can be purchased through Vizcarra Pharmaceutical.  Cash donations may
be deposited at the SSPE Children Care Foundation Current Account 0291-0369-96 and
Dollar Savings Account 0294-0271-49, both at the BPI Forbes Park branch or e-mail
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or call 522-1905, 522-5185 or 89.  The foundation works closely with
PGH doctors headed by Dr. Aida M. Salonga, chair, Section of Pediatric Neurology,
Department of Neuro Sciences, UP-PGH, Taft.