Why Toddlers Misbehave

Before you react when your child acts up, consider his point of view. Common causes of naughtiness at this stage include:

  • Physical Discomfort Take a toddler on a long morning of errands past his naptime, and the tantrum in aisle 7 of Wal-Mart isn't about a toy he spotted; it's his way of saying, "Enough, Mom! I'm tired."

  • Curiosity Toddlers learn about the world through hands-on exploration. A child who pulls the cat's tail may simply be intent on finding out what will happen, not trying to be cruel. A toddler lacks the self-control to curb this kind of discovery-by-doing.

  • Testing Even the best-behaved children go through a contrary phase starting at around 14 to 22 months, which can last for at least six months. This is when a child grows increasingly aware of his personal power. Intoxicated by this finding, he seems to be asking himself, "Just what am I capable of, and how much can I get away with?"

  • Frustration Toddlerhood is fraught with limitations, both physical (the inability to stack blocks perfectly) and imposed (having to hold your hand when crossing the street). What's more, a toddler lacks the verbal skills to make her wishes known or to orally let off steam. As a result, frustration mounts quickly; it's often vented as agression, anger, and other forms of antisocial behavior.

From the Parenting Guide to Your Toddler by Paula Spencer, with the editors of Parenting magazine, published by Ballantine Books, a division of Random House, Inc

Kirim email ke