6. "Mine!" "No!" "Gimme!"
Familiar declarations to many parents. Play time is
not always joy and laughter. It can often go from
smiling and sharing to shouts and shoving in seconds
flat. Just as young children are learning how to use
their bodies, imagination, and language skills, they
are also learning how to socialize. Sharing,
cooperation, communication, and relating to others are
all a part of learning social skills. As with other
skills, young children need time and practice, as well
as help from adults. And, just as children master
skills at varying paces, so it goes with learning to
play cooperatively. Some children take longer and need
more help than others. And, for children who seem to
avoid playing with peers altogether, it is especially
important to create lots of opportunities for them to
feel more comfortable with social interactions.
I love to play with my friends...it makes me so
excited to do things with another little person.
Sometimes I get too excited and have trouble
controlling my feelings. I want what I want when I
want it! It helps me when you step in to guide me.
When you offer me another toy to play with while my
friend has the bear I really want, it helps me wait my
turn. It also helps when you show us ways we can play
with the cars together. When you're patient, it helps
me learn to be patient, too, and it teaches me how to
take small steps as I learn to make friends.
For ideas and information during these challenging
times, visit these other areas of our site:
Cooperation
Communication
Relating to Others
Frustration/Tantrums
Self-Control
The Terrible Two's
7. "One More Time!"
Dad has just come home and is eager to play with his
two-year-old, Marty. "What should we do?" Dad asks.
Marty promptly brings to dad the farm animal puzzle
they did together at least 10 times last night. Dad,
squelching his heavy sigh says, "Okay, now where in
the world does that silly zebra go?" and Marty,
puffing up his chest with pride says "Right here!"
While this desire to do things over and over again is
not necessarily thrilling for moms and dads, it is for
their young children. They are practicing in order to
master a challenge. And when they can do it "All by
myself!" they are rewarded with a powerful sense of
their own competency, a feeling they like to recreate
as often as possible. The more they practice and
master new skills, the more likely they are to take on
new challenges and the learning continues. So when
you're tempted to hide that toy that you don't think
you can stand playing with yet one more time, remember
the essential role repetition plays in your child's
development. (Anyway, once he realizes it's gone—which
should take more than a day—he'll hound you 'till you
give up the goods.)