Update:

I talked to Dell support.  On the LTO6 half-height drives, they specify
that cleaning will required after every 40-50 hours of drive usage.  This
is substantially more often than LTO3 or LTO4 drives required.  Newer
firmware revisions for the drive are gradually getting more relaxed about
needing cleaning.  And apparently the new generation of LTO6 tapes (like
the new HP BaFe media) should drastically reduce the cleaning requirements
over the legacy MP (metal-particle) tapes.

Naturally, Dell insists that my use of non-Dell-branded tapes is part of
the problem ;-).  Even though Dell tapes are actually OEM'd FujiFilm tapes
in the first place...

Based on running full backups, we're hitting 40 to 50 hours of on-head tape
usage every two weeks or so.

So apparently this level of cleaning is actually normal for this drive.

(Dell TL1000, which is actually an IBM TS2600 (type 3572-TL) with an IBM
ULT3580-HH6 drive)

I still wish there was a way to tell Bareos to automatically unload the
tape after X hours of inactivity, so that the library auto-cleaning could
kick in, instead of me having to do it manually.

There's a TapeAlert plugin, could that be extended to do auto-eject the
tape if the drive requires cleaning after a backup job runs?  Except that
despite having that plugin enabled, I don't see anything in the Bareos logs
- it's the library emailing me to request cleaning...

[image: Avant logo] *Adam Thompson*
Senior Systems Administrator
*voice:* 204.789.9596 x24 | *email:* athomp...@avant.ca | *web:* avant.ca