On 02/17/16 08:36 PM, Adam Thompson wrote:
> Update:
>
> I talked to Dell support.  On the LTO6 half-height drives, they specify that
> cleaning will required after every 40-50 hours of drive usage.  This is
> substantially more often than LTO3 or LTO4 drives required.  Newer firmware
> revisions for the drive are gradually getting more relaxed about needing
> cleaning.  And apparently the new generation of LTO6 tapes (like the new HP
> BaFe media) should drastically reduce the cleaning requirements over the
> legacy MP (metal-particle) tapes.
>
> Naturally, Dell insists that my use of non-Dell-branded tapes is part of the
> problem ;-).  Even though Dell tapes are actually OEM'd FujiFilm tapes in the
> first place...
>

> Based on running full backups, we're hitting 40 to 50 hours of on-head tape
> usage every two weeks or so.
>
> So apparently this level of cleaning is actually normal for this drive.
>
> (Dell TL1000, which is actually an IBM TS2600 (type 3572-TL) with an IBM
> ULT3580-HH6 drive)
>

> I still wish there was a way to tell Bareos to automatically unload the tape
> after X hours of inactivity, so that the library auto-cleaning could kick in,
> instead of me having to do it manually.

You could pick a time that works for you and have an Admin Job that releases
the drive.
That will unload the drive (but use release and NOT unmount as that blocks the
drive).

> There's a TapeAlert plugin, could that be extended to do auto-eject the tape
> if the drive requires cleaning after a backup job runs?  Except that despite
> having that plugin enabled, I don't see anything in the Bareos logs - it's
> the library emailing me to request cleaning...

The TapeAlert plugin only captures the low level SCSI TapeAlert info and
inserts it into
the database for now. One day we should have it visible in the webui so you can
based on
this info look at drives and tapes and see how they behaved over time. You
could unload
the plugin and fall back to the old alert command in the SD definition and
possibly write
some script that does the hard work. Extending the TapeAlert to interpret the
TapeAlert
info is possible only there is no consumer of such events as the current plugin
interface
works on a per Job basis so you need some other plugin to react on an event.
Again its all
available so you can hack whatever you like but I would settle on releasing the
drive at
some time you think is convenient. If you play with the priorities of the Admin
Jobs you
may even be able to have it being suspended if it kicks in to early on any
running Job.
Not sure however if Admin Jobs fully play well with priorities etc.

--
Marco van Wieringen                   marco.van.wierin...@bareos.com
Bareos GmbH & Co. KG                  Phone: +49-221-63069389

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Köln | Amtsgericht Köln: HRA 29646
Komplementär: Bareos Verwaltungs-GmbH
Geschäftsführer: Stephan Dühr, M. Außendorf, J. Steffens,
                 P. Storz, M. v. Wieringen