Finally found the required changes to get UART1, 2, 4 and 5 loaded and
numbered correctly under 3.12.

The source for the "capes" I was looking for (BB-UARTn) were created by
this patch:
https://github.com/beagleboard/kernel/blob/3.8/patches/not-capebus/0176-capes-Add-virtual-capes-serving-as-examples.patch,
and it looks like the RS232 cape would need the same change. The file isn't
in the 3.12 branch and I don't speak git so I've attached a patch for this
patch (sorry) which fixes the UART and RS232 overlays.

If anyone just needs working DTS and DTBO files for BB-UART1, BB-UART2,
BB-UART4 and BB-UART5 for kernel 3.12, I'm attaching them here as well in
bb-uart-dts-312.tar.gz