Perhaps the HDMI video and audio are not being disabled quickly enough for
your module to load. Another way to load your module would be to write a
startup service. Which you can then load at any point in the Debian startup
cycle. I have a write up of an example here :
http://www.embeddedhobbyist.com/debian-tips/beaglebone-black/beaglebone-black-init-scripts-default-gatewayand-ntpdate/

Turns out the reason why I wrote this short article was a goof on my part.
Also, the reasons why I did this may not seen sane to some. Meaning, there
could be a much easier way to do the same things . . . but . . . whatever
the case the example is perfectly usable for different  situations.