I'll keep an eye out for the update.  In the meantime, I bought a second,
different controller and everything works now.  Connecting the controller
has been a little spotty compared to the other one that the start and
select buttons don't work on, but it works.  I cycled the power a couple
times, plugged and unplugged it and it eventually worked.  Once it did work
it seemed more consistently connected after a power cycle.  The other
remote didn't have that issue.  Oh well.  It works.

I've only tried a few games quickly, but I like it.  For anyone else
ordering through Amazon...

This is where I ordered the one that
worked:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058FN036/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sold by *Hitgaming Video Games
<http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/seller/at-a-glance.html?ie=UTF8&isAmazonFulfilled=1&seller=A3O4XUIPWQ2IWK>*

This is where I ordered the one that caused me
problems:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0034ZOAO0/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sold by *Hitgaming Video Games
<http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/seller/at-a-glance.html?ie=UTF8&isAmazonFulfilled=1&seller=A3O4XUIPWQ2IWK>*

Good luck getting the right one :)

Anyways, thanks Andrew.  I also got the Android 4.2.2 running on the BBB.
 Good work on that too!  That also worked after I tried imaging the disk
from the Ubuntu machine.