I installed Ubuntu 13.10 following the instructions
here: http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntu

I installed mpd as a user service following the instructions
here: http://gmpc.wikia.com/wiki/MPD_INSTALL_USER_SERVICE_UBUNTU.

When I try to run mpd, I get the following errors:

Cannot create thread 1 Operation not permitted

 These are the contents of my mpd configuration file

$ grep -v "^#\|^$" .mpdconf

music_directory         "/home/ubuntu/music"
playlist_directory              "/home/ubuntu/.mpd/playlists"
db_file                 "/home/ubuntu/.mpd/tag_cache"
log_file                        "/home/ubuntu/.mpd/mpd.log"
pid_file                        "/home/ubuntu/.mpd/mpd.pid"
state_file                      "/home/ubuntu/.mpd/mpdstate"
sticker_file                    "/var/lib/mpd/sticker.sql"
bind_to_address         "127.0.0.1"
auto_update     "yes"
input {
        plugin "curl"
}
audio_output {
        type            "alsa"
        name            "My ALSA Device"
}
audio_output {
        type            "httpd"
        name            "My HTTP Stream"
        encoder         "vorbis"                # optional, vorbis or lame
        port            "8000"
        bind_to_address "0.0.0.0"               # optional, IPv4 or IPv6
        bitrate         "128"                   # do not define if quality
is de fined
        format          "44100:16:1"
        max_clients     "0"                     # optional 0=no limit
}