Robert,

I use the Linaro toolchain for exactly the same reasons as you. Aside from
the fact that I follow your guide as closely as possible, and deviating
from that would cause more headaches than it is worth. All one has to do is
read all the half fast copied blog postings out there to realize this . . .
that lead to "HALP ITS BROKED" posts on these groups . . .heh.

As far as the crosstool-ng aspect. I just mean that you get eaxctly what
*you* want when you build your own toolchain. On the other side of that
coin. For me personally, I probably do not know everything I need to know
to build a proper toolchain for the BBB. After that, failed attempts would
get old fast, or worse yet seemingly good attempts that could turn "tragic"
in a hurry.