> Thanks again for your quick reply!

With "as intended" I refer to the lecture given at:
*http://elinux.org/BeagleBone_Black_Enable_SPIDEV*
<http://elinux.org/BeagleBone_Black_Enable_SPIDEV>
and many other lectures i have studied made me think that I (anyone) could
throw out predefined pin configurations and ad-hoc substitute them with my
own in the /lib/firmware directory.

When I find the .dtbo working by placing them /lib/firmware and using "echo
<device>.dtbo > $SLOTS, I (of course) get confused when the files are not
accepted (and with no explanation) during boot.
The confusion arises (like you say) when no other .dtbo file is accepted
during boot but the "built ins" while no information is given but "loading
failed".
Replacing an existing .dtbo and finding that the pins were configured as
the origninal file suggests that the content of the /lib/firmware .dtbo's
doesn't seem to count at all.

I have used some 4-5 working days on this subject convinced that it all had
to be my mistake since I couldn't find any consistent information about
this. All documents and lectures on the web seemed to tell that loading
custom ad-hoc .dtbo's by uEnv.txt was feasible.

You are the first to tell me that the Linux cape configurations have to be
furnished by anyone but ourselves. We are making a one-of-a-kind cape in a
scientific research context. It really shouldn't be necessary to submit a
short-sighted experiment although in professional context. We are doing
changes steadily and plan to use BBB in many different activities (also in
cooperation with the NTNU, Norwegian University of Technology). I don't
think we will want to overthrow you with numerous patches for different
projects.

Well, I'm learning, but knowledge is sometime hard to obtain.
In 1987, as a Unix system responsible, I learned the saying:
"Manuals...? Which manuals...? This is Unix my son, you gotta know!" :-)

I guess I have to do a script running after boot that loads the .dtbo and
reconfigures the pins.

Best regards
Terje Froysa