Robert Nelson <robertcnel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 1:53 PM,  <c...@isbd.net> wrote:
> > I am trying to use the Adafruit Python IO library to acces the UARTS
> > on my BBB.
> >
> > According to the Adafruit documentation if I do:-
> >
> >     import Adafruit_BBIO.UART as UART
> >     UART.setup("UART1")
> >
> > I should then be able to use /dev/tty01, but there isn't a /dev/tty01,
> > only a /dev/tty1.  Is this an error in the documentation or is there
> > something more fundamental broken?  I don't seem to be having much
> > success using /dev/tty1 or /dev/tty01 anyway.
>
> Sounds like you didn't load the ttyO1 overlay..
>
> Then /dev/ttyO1 will be available.

Could you explain that more simply please!?

I have since discovered that some serial ports work for me and others
don't, even though *none* of them actually appear to an ls command.

If I simply do the following in my python program:-

    import Adafruit_BBIO.UART as UART
    import serial

    UART.setup("UART1")

    ser = serial.Serial(port = "/dev/ttyO1", baudrate=9600)

Then it works for UART1, UART2 and UART4  but *doesn't* work for UART3
and UART5. That's 'works' as in I can write things to the serial port
and it get sent to a remote system, I still can't see the named
/dev/tty0x device.

I'd expected the Adafruit library to do all that's necessary to make
the port work and be visible.

--
Chris Green
ยท