I also am experiencing this issue. I'm trying to avoid a hardware
modification so I was trying to follow Mikkel's
post: http://www.mikini.dk/index.php/category/beaglebone-black/boot-issue.
However I can't find a FAT partition on my sd-card.. Is this something that
changed when switching from Angstrom to Debian? Searching for u-boot.img
and MLO and only found them in the u-boot backup folder so I assume that's
not what I need to change.

I'm running the Debian image from 03-01-2015. Using the newer images did
not increase reliability by much.

Thanks,

Chris