Don't worry I had already made a backup img so continually messing things
up wasn't really an issue. Just takes a few minutes to download the img
back to the sd.

It is similar to what is on both Robert's and your blogs, so I'm not sure
why it got messed up when I tried recreating the partition table as well.

Regardless:

I skipped this step: Erase partition table/labels on microSD card and it
appeared the base uboot directly from Roberts guide worked properly. Then I
added the patch from here
http://www.mikini.dk/index.php/category/beaglebone-black/boot-issue and
repeated the procedure. On power up while holding 'a' on the keyboard the
boot process continued as desired. So knock on wood I think I got the
bootloader replaced and the new patch worked.

Thank you both for your help and Miki for the patch!

Before I'm content is there any issue from not cleaning out the MBR? Like
if the img after the last patch is a different size then Robert's img file?

Intending to run reboot tests overnight to make sure the patch clears up
the issue. Although if the "random" noise on the rx line spells out stop
I'm going to be a little spooked.

Thanks,

Chris