On Jul 5, 5:41 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tom Phoenix) wrote:

> If that's the feature you're trying to use, why are you trying to use
> it like that? It seems to want a reference to a hash and a string, but
> you give it a hash? Try giving it a reference to a hash and a string,
> maybe something like this:
>
>     GetOptions($target_hash_ref, "$item_name=$letter") or ...
>
> Hope this helps!

I think I should have explained my code. I want to try to construct
the arguments for GetOptions, but in a dynamic way. So, instead of
hard-coding my switches, like this:
GetOptions (
       showlog       => \$MyArgs{showlog},
       'strategy=s'  => \$MyArgs{strategy}
)

like is shown in the GetOptions documentation page, I would like to
feed the list based upon some arrays (@GlobalSwitches, @LocalSwitches,
and @OptionList). I like using the %MyArgs{option} approach because
then I wouldn't have to declare a variable for each option I may have.
Having said that.. I'm not sure how I could do as you suggest.. How
would I set $target_hash_ref to support say the "showlog" switch, and
the "strategy" option? Would I be able to refer to each option such as
$target_hash_ref{showlog}, or $target_hash_ref{strategy} ?
Thanks alot for your help
Ray