<<Hi there everyone...I was just thinking it would be interesting to do this
since it's been a subject we've been talking about a lot lately.  I was
wondering how many of you have neutered/spayed/unneutered/unspayed females
and males, and what you're reasoning for doing it or not doing it is--i.e.
breeding purposes or personal preference, or whatever--and how many BMDs you
do have.  And, then, if the owners with unneutered BMDs will fix them in the
future.>>

I have three dogs and have had a couple others in the past.  I like all of
my dogs neutered/spayed as I never intend to breed anything.  The only
reason that I've left any intact past puppyhood was to show.

Bandit, BMD, who lived to 7 1/2 was neutered at 4 1/2 after I convinced his
breeder that he was really too small to finish without going to the expense
of a professional handler and wasting a lot of money in entries.  I'm not
into showing in conformation and only agreed to show him at all for the
breeder's sake.

I had an IG while my children were small.  She was given to me with the
agreement that I would whelp one litter, which I did and then had her
spayed.

Currently I have my son's Gordon Setter, an Australian Shepherd and a
Berner.  The Gordon was spayed by the time she was 6 months old.

I was going to wait a bit on the Aussie to see how he turned out,
conformation-wise in case my niece wanted to handle him to a CH.  (She's
trying to become a handler.) but had him neutered by the time he was 7
months old, soon after he started jumping the 5 1/2 foot fence to visit the
neighbor's bitch in heat.  I figured that if he was that horny at six months
old, heaven help us!  By the way, he still marks but not all of the time.
Just most of the time.  Even though he is not dominant with other dogs.
Just wants to play with everyone.

My Berner is just 18 months old and has a few points toward his CH.  His
breeder would like to finish him, if possible.  I'm training him in agility
and she would really like to have produced a versatility dog.  I'm not
really sure what all he needs to do but, if he lives long enough and she
puts the CH in front of his name, I'll have no trouble putting whatever
letters he needs after his name.  But even then, my plan is to call for his
neutering appointment the day his CH certificate arrives.  This will make
all of the rest so much easier.

I mentioned Bandit, neutered at 4 1/2.  This helped him stop marking in the
house.  (He would mark on my sons' beds if I had to discipline them.)  He
also became more easy-going even though he was always a very laid-back dog.
It seemed as though he didn't have to worry anymore.  He could just be a
puppy again.  He even went back to squatting most of the time.

Claudia Brydon in NW PA
Barney OA NAJ (Aussie)
Boomer (Bernese Mountain Dog)
Mo (Gordon Setter Granddog