        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  6) gratitude
        by Wendi Giordano <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) New Berner Pup...adviceneeded!
        by "lisa stucke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Berner Love
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  9) Dear Harvey
        by "Michaela Simmons" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: BERNER-L digest 4240
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 11) Bernese ownership & general loopiness
        by "Michaela Simmons" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) new pages
        by Hugh Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Stevie Update-Friday 24th
        by "Karen McFarlane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Neat obedience class last night
        by Lucy & Yogi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) FW: Hundreds Of Dogs Seized From Malheur County Home
        by "Pat Long & Paul Dangel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) biteing and nipping - too agressive?
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 17) Re: New Berner Pup...adviceneeded!
        by "Eileen Morgan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) New Berner puppy -- basics
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 19) Stevie's update
        by "Karen McFarlane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Oatmeal
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 21) Re: Oatmeal
        by "Liz Steinweg & Crew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 23) LAST CHANCE to enter the BARC LOC Challenge Fundraiser...
        by "Dr. William B. Neff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Feb 7th and 8th....
        by Jim Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
*    Mail Lists at Prairienet only accept PLAIN TEXT    *
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Sue,

   It sounds like that little Jessyka of yours is certainly strong willed
and willing to fight for everything she has! Her improvements are wonderful
and I hope she continues to make progress as time goes on. Hug that little
baby!

Kelly Weir and Hope
http://home.twmi.rr.com/skylinebmd/index.html/hopeindex.htm
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hi,
My advice for any owner of a dog with continuing and stubborn ear
infections is to have it cultured. My Oak was plagued with "yeasty" ears
that I treated but the problem persisted, her ears became inflammed and we
did a culture. Turned out to be strep and e-coli and worst of all
pseudynomous (sp) the latter has a nasty habit of becoming drug resistant
and we had quite the protocol of treatment but we did beat it. She was put
on Eukanuba Fish and Potato and remains on that diet. My one venture back
to regular kibble had her ears inflamming so a short course of prednisone
and back to FP supplemented with Pink Salmon. She was spayed and without
the hormonal fluctuation she stabilised and is doing great.

Food allergies are notorious for causing problems with ears.

Rose Tierney
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hi Margreta,
For some dogs intense chewing gives them an endorphine rush rather like a
horse that crib bites. The "buzz" is what drives them. If he is in
possession of his second set of teeth and going into a frenzied chew
session and you are worried about him over stressing himself then just
limit his access to bones etc. and up his physical activities. Puppies need
to chew to relieve the discomfort of all the changes going on in their
jaws, adults can get addicted to the rush rather like some humans enjoy
crossing the pain barrier when running!

If this is only periodic I wouldn't worry too much but be careful he
doesn't overdrink when he's finished.

Rose T.
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
In a message dated 1/23/2003 5:41:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> can you please let me know if there is a way to contact the berner rescue
>  league? i'm interested in adopting a young dog, must not be aggressive
> toward cats. since my "duchess" died, they are all i have left. i live in
haverhill
>  mass, which is about 30 miles northeast of boston.

Hi Sharon,

The New England regional BMD (the BMDCNV) includes Rescue in its charter.
You'll find informatiopn about the club at www.bmdcnv.org and can contact the
Rescue Chair at  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In addition to regional rescue, you might want to get to know breeders in the
club as some occassionally place a young adult they had kept for potential
breeding but decide to place instead.  Club events are a good way to network
so you'll be in the loop when someone has a dog to place.

Another good resource is BARC.  BARC is a non-profit organization that
rescues Bernese from exploitive situations such as puppy mill auctions and
brokers.  The pups/dogs are evaluated and then placed in carefully matched
homes.  You'll find information at www.barcinc.com

~ Sherri Venditti
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Dear Friends,

I cannot find words that can adequately express my
gratitude for your suppport, knowledge and willingness
to share.  You are the most amazing group of people I
have ever known.  Thank you from the bottom of my
heart.  Hugh, your post was so thoughtful, i just sat
there and cried, you left me speechless, which is
indeed a very rare event.
I have received so many posts and I wish to thank you
all!  You all remind me of our berners. Thank you!

Wendi

=====
Wendi Giordano [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Striving to be worthy of my beautiful Berner girls...
Miss Kitty (Swiss Stars Cat Balou)
Splash (Swiss Stars Over Niagara)
And Struggling to live up to "A tired puppy is a good puppy."
Cutter (Swiss Stars Black Diamond)

http://mailplus.yahoo.com
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
*    Mail Lists at Prairienet only accept PLAIN TEXT    *
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Barbara,

To find a reputable breeder in the Michigan area contact the Heart of Michigan Bernese Mountain Dog Club, HMBMDC, at www.hmbmdc.org. They have a listing of preferred breeders. It just so happens that the club is holding its annual Berner Blizzard Bash next Saturday, Feb 1, 2003, in Rockford, MI. This would be great opportunity for you to meet some berner owners and their dogs. You are more than welcome to attend.

Then again, if you will be relocated to Colorado in July, I suggest you contact the BMD Club in Colorado and find a breeder there. If you found a breeder in Michigan today, chances are all the pups in their next litter will be spoken for and you will be put on their "list". There are many good breeders - with excellent lines - in the Colorado area and into Texas. Go to www.bmdca.org; there you will find the Colorado club and info sheets on 'how to buy a BMD pup". Also, use the internet to research a sire and dames pedigree on the Berner Garde, www.breedbrowsers.com/Berners/.

The Bernese Mountain Dog is considered a rare dog breed and it seems like reputable breeders are just as rare - but they are out there - you just have to keep looking!. The BMD's gaining popularity has increased backyard breeding and encouraged puppy mills to mass produce. These mass-produced dogs have entered the gene pool are raising havoc with the breeds health. Just because you are looking for a "pet" quality, dog that will be neutered, doesn't mean you have to disregard quality and health. For $1500.00 your pup should be healthy, AKC registered, come with a contract and come from a breeder that will be there, always, for you and your dog throughout your dogs life.
Keep reading the Berner "L" and keep learning. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to post to the "L". gook luck in your search.

Denise
Michigan, USA

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Dear Denise,

Please forgive my boldness in e-mailing you, but as I was reading the L-Digest, I
saw your comment about your dogs, and it sounds like you are in Michigan.

I am searching for a well bred companion BMD.   I do not intend to breed, but need a
Berner as part of the family!!  I have been researching the breed for quite awhile, and
am anxious now to be involved in the local Michigan Club, and get to know any
Colorado Clubs / breeders also. I currently live in Michigan, but will be retiring and relocating Steamboat Springs, Colorado in July.

Could you point me in the right direction as to how to find BMD's near my area in Michigan? I would appreciate any additional help / contacts that you can suggest.

Thank you in advance,

Barbara Clark
3321 Harbours Blvd.
Waterford, MI  48328

248-682-1716
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

This message scanned for viruses by Corecomm <http://www.core.com/>

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Dear Harvey

I'm thrilled to bits that the small growth I found on your chest was finally
found to be benign. A histiocytoma. Or a bad reaction to a tick bite. But
nothing nasty.

But I have to tell you that I'm kind of getting too old for this kind of
mental anguish and upheaval. I know that it got you TONS of extra attention.
But I aged 10 years in 10 days. At least! Plus, all this worry turned me
into a complete screwball. I vividly remember that on the day I expected the
results back I  expressed murderous rage because the guy in front of me
bought the last stick of MY favourite butter. I think the innocent chap
never experienced such venom over buying butter and never shall again. The
man is mentally scarred for life and will be scared for life of grocery
shopping. And I thought I handled all the stress really well until
then......Oh, dear.

Thus, in future, if you want some extra attention....couldn't you just bark
or something?
Please?

all my love

Michaela
Devon/UK

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
*    Mail Lists at Prairienet only accept PLAIN TEXT    *
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
You know, I think there is a STRONG positive correlation between being owned
by a Bernese AND going totally bonkers. Seriously. An under researched area
if ever there was one. Should be a fertile field if anyone ever decides to
delve into it.

When I found this nasty looking little wart-like growth on Harvey, I was
concerned. Not overly so, just "normally" concerned. When my vet showed
concern also, I got a bit more worried. But by the day the results of the
needle aspiration were back and THEN being told that they had to repeat it
since the results weren't clear and the pathologist was also concerned, I
turned into a nutter. Not outwardly. Nobody would have known ( except the
unfortunate man buying butter!). Ha, that even rhymes! ( obviously, I'm
still recovering).

Still, the culmination of the developing mental instability was reached when
my friend Jean ( Cheesman) told me about the "cheese" remedy. Apparently, in
the good ol' days, you could make a wart go away by nailing a piece of
cheese to your back door. According to Jean, by the time the cheese was
mouldy the wart would disappear. You also had to chant or sing something to
complete the healing process. So far, so good.

Under the principle " it can't hurt" and "nothing ventured nothing gained""
I courteously asked my husband for a hammer. At 11 p m. Who looked at me
incredulously. "You can't nail cheese to the door! Are you mad? You'll ruin
the door". Now you'd think that in 17 years of marriage, the man would have
learned to never, EVER dispute anything whilst one of our furry family
members is not well or suspected to be ill. But no, evidently not. Somewhat
less courteously I informed my beloved that I didn't give a **** about the
door and would he please pass me the hammer snappily, thank you so much.

The cheese was promptly nailed, Harv's results the next day were clear (
Ha!), and as for me.....well, I'm still apologizing to hubby.

As I said, Berners and worrying about their health will drive you loopy.
I'll guarantee it. I mean, who in their right mind nails cheese to their
back door?????????

Michaela, Harvey & Rupert
mad but healthy in Devon/UK
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
>From the digests-

http://www.berner.org/temp_pages/lympho.htm

http://www.berner.org/temp_pages/head_injury.htm

http://www.berner.org/temp_pages/why_nueter.htm

http://www.berner.org/temp_pages/ear_infections.htm

Hugh
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Dear List,
Well we have now had a major set back, Stevie is now battling a full blown
pneumonia. His temperature shot up during the night and he is in respiratory
distress. He may need some respiratory support, (ventilator) They are doing
all they can, loading him with antibiotics, broncodilators, and of coarse
coritsone to reduce swelling in his airways. I am just not sure how much
more my darling can endure. His breathing is laboured and very rapid. It is
so hard to watch him struggling. I am not sure that I have the strength.
Just when I thought that I had cried my last tear, the floodgates are wide
open again. Stevie is the only thing that keeps me going and I am sure I
would just give in, but when I look into that gorgeous face and know the
love he has for me and mine for him, it gives me the determination to dig in
and try to help him fight. I will try to update here when I can. I have my
laptop with me, but I spend as much time with my boy as my poor tired body
will allow. Thank you all for your continuing support.
Karen
---
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- We did a really neat thing in my obedience class last night.

Last night my instructor had us pair up with another human, and have one of us be the person, and one human act the role of the dog. The person/handler did the heeling exercises with the human "dog". This really sank home the importance of cueing my dog with my behaviour and footwork for left turns, right turns and about turns. It was difficult as the "dog" to keep up with the person, and I found myself lagging or forging most of the exercise while I was the "dog".

I have ever increasing respect for my girl who knows me so well, and puts up with my weaknesses in the ring.

Jen
P.S. The dogs go crazy when I am working with one and the other is separated, so I'm trying to teach my fiance clicker training, so we can each work with one dog at a time (he'll teach tricks and I'll work on our "formal" stuff). So... we did an exercise where I clicker trained him, then he taught clicker trained me. My behaviour for him was to walk into the kitchen and turn on the faucet - he taught me to retrieve his slipper! <groan>
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Forwarded from Jim: (And this sounds like a collector rather than a mill
situation, but the end result for the dogs isn't much different)

Idaho-2-News (KBCI-TV Boise ID) - January 23, 2003

Hundreds Of Dogs Seized From Malheur County Home  -  By Paul Fredericks

NEAR HARPER, Oregon -

"Just mud and feces.  It's just a sea of mud and feces." That's how the
President of the 2nd Chance Animal Shelter describes the conditions.
Barbara Hutchinson helped haul away close to 600 dogs from a home near
the tiny town of Harper in Malheur County. . . . "

" The animals are being taken to a facility in Fruitland, Idaho where a
veterinarian will examine them.  The 2nd Chance Animal Shelter is
overwhelmed by the amount of dogs... and needs help.  The shelter is in
desperate need of donations such as food, lumber, carriers, dishes, and
cash to help cover veterinary costs. The numbers you can call are
208-642-2790 or 208-642-1002. Cash donations can be made to
Intermountain Community Bank (2nd Chance Animal Shelter Fund) in
Payette, Idaho."

[Pix and video clip available at URL below.]

Copyrighted material of Fisher Communications, Inc. (KBCI TV)
Copyright 2002 Associated Press. All rights reserved.
http://www2.kbcitv.com/x5154.xml?ParentPageID=x5157&ContentID=x35488&Lay
out=KBCI.xsl&AdGroupID=x5154

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hi everyone!  I have only been on the Berner-L list for a few days, so I
hope I'm doing this right.  I would like to know if anyone can tell me,
if my 10 month old Berner is too agressive?  I don't necessarily mind his
constant barking some nights, but I do mind his always trying to nip and
bite at me and my husband's fingers, arms, and cloths.  I tell him firmly
"no" but I can't get him to stop!  Is he too agressive?  What can I do to
make him stop nipping and biteing at us and our poor guests?
Linda J. Watson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
The Woodlands, TX