pippin;496056 Wrote:
> Hm. Last.fm is not about hosting new music, which MySpace is. And
> YouTube. They would be needed from a playback perspective.

Last.fm hosts tons of new music... they used to be mostly indies, until
they started getting the major labels to add support.  That's part of
how they got such a good deal on their licensing: "well the indies let
us play music for virtually nothing.." and the majors bit and cut them a
great royalty deal.

> MySpace is still (although losing a bit of weight) pretty big as a
> marketing tool for new bands, this would be a big win for SB if it
> doesn't want to grow into an old image.

They would need to provide some sort of API to stream 'music I might
like' though.  As far as I can tell, they don't.

> Facebook and Twitter may not do a lot of music on their platforms but
> they are used to communicate a lot of links. What would be cool would be
> an easy way to import these links while also being able to play the
> stuff. THIS is the real challenge: being able to play some stuff that's
> being presented through a link or a flash plugin, requires some
> intelligence on the client side.

And cooperation from the sites.

Emusic also has some streaming services
http://www.emusic.com/toolbar/download.html .. they used to be almost
exclusively indies, but now have a some major catalogs.

But not a lot of social to it.

--
snarlydwarf