Hi Robert,
just to add to the discussion, it was not initially obvious to me that the
ShortRead QA report can read either from disk
or from a ShortReadQ object within R. This at least provides the flexibility
to filter a ShortReadQ object using
trimLRPatterns/vmatchPattern/narrow etc and then run a QA filtered report to
get more meaningful plots.

I agree it would be a nice feature to be able to specify some adapter
sequences to filter in a qa() call itself, or potentially
select parts of the report of interest.
There will be cases that will test this proposed functionality, especially
around partial adapter sequence
and the number of mismatches to allow for. I recently came across a
synthetic construct (~20 bases) in an
illumina experiment which was the first half of an adapter with the addition
of a single random DNA base at
the 5' start, so the partial adapter effectively started at cycle position 2
of the subjects. Using Biostrings
trimLRPatterns may not identify this pattern and dynamically trim or filter
(utilizing ranges coordinates)
unless the random base is added to the start of the pattern and at least one
mismatch is allowed,
whereas using a vmatchPattern approach to filter would work.

Marcus