I spent 1.5 hrs. birding Rattray Marsh starting just after the rain quit at 1:00 pm. At 1:35 pm while looking at a small accipiter circling high over the marsh, I spotted two small loons I flying high over Rattray Marsh from north to south. They then circled about a km out over the lake then turned north and landed just behind a long raft of 250 Red-necked Grebes. On scoping (x30) them I discovered they were two Red-throated Loon still in full breeding plumage (diagnostic brick-throat; peal gray head and neck, dark back). Birds of Hamilton has only one earlier date, 2 September 1889! The mudflats of the marsh were just appearing above waterline and no shorebirds were seen.

Directions:
Access the marsh from the south end of Bexhill Road with runs of Lakeshore Boulevard west between Southdown Road and Mississauga Road.

Wayne Renaud (289-828-0043).