Ontario Rare Bird Alert for the week starting September 13, 2024

Species mentioned (all caps indicate species on the OBRC review list):
BARNACLE GOOSE (Northumberland)
CINNAMON TEAL (Niagara)
Common Eider (HAMILTON)
Piping Plover (Norfolk)
Buff-breasted Sandpiper (Essex, Norfolk)
Long-tailed Jaeger (Halton, Hamilton, Simcoe)
Sabine's Gull (Hamilton)
YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON (Hamilton)
Glossy Ibis (Lanark, Norfolk)
Yellow-headed Blackbird (Northumberland)
Prairie Warbler (Essex, Halton, Peterborough)

Details: I have tried to indicate the finder, where known. My apologies to
those who I have left out. You can help me by giving the finder's name(s),
if known, in your eBird checklists.

Looking for a replacement: I'm looking for someone to take over these
weekly reports! If you're interested, please get in touch.

BARNACLE GOOSE (Northumberland): The bird found by Doug McRae and Nicole
Richardson at Presqu'ile PP on May 22 was reported again this week -
September 14 from Owen Point and September 15 from Presqu'ile Parkway just
outside the park..

CINNAMON TEAL (Niagara): Kathy Johnson found one at Grimsby Wetlands on
September 15 that has been seen daily by many observers up to at least
September 19. For more details, see:
https://ontbirds.ca/empathy/thread/HNO27QH3HHOATL2A5HJMCV42WQRASELT

Common Eider (HAMILTON): Rich Poort, Jude Szabo, Michael McAllister and Ben
Laing found four female-type birds over Van Wagners Beach on September 17;
three of the four were later located by Jeremy Hatt on the water.

Piping Plover (Norfolk): LPBO reported one bird at the tip of Long Point on
September 15 and 16.

Buff-breasted Sandpiper (Essex): Up to four birds were reported from the
Onion Fields north of Point Pelee on September 13-17.
Buff-breasted Sandpiper (Norfolk): One bird was reported by many observed
off the Long Point causeway September 17-19.

Long-tailed Jaeger (Halton): George Prieksaitis reported one off Esplanade
Park in Oakville on September 14.
Long-tailed Jaeger (Hamilton): At least one bird was reported off Van
Wagner's Beach on September 14 and at least two were reported there on
September 18.
Long-tailed Jaeger (Simcoe): A juvenile was reported from Lake Simcoe
between Barrie and Orillia on September 14 by Garth Riley, Andrew Riley and
Nancy McPherson.

Sabine's Gull (Hamilton): Up to 17 birds were reported from Van Wagner's
Beach on September 18.

YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON (Hamilton): An immature bird, presumably the
same reported September 12 by John Moffatt, was reported from Cootes
Paradise on September 13 by George Prieksaitis.

Glossy Ibis (Lanark): Presumably the bird seen September 11 by Eric Lay,
one bird was found September 13 in Carleton Place by Bob Kennedy and Alison
Bentley and subsequently seen by many to at least September 18.
Glossy Ibis (Norfolk): James Scott found and photographed one along the
Long Point causeway on September 14 that was subsequently seen by many to
at least September 19.

Yellow-headed Blackbird (Northumberland): One bird was photographed at Owen
Point in Presqu'ile PP on September 15 but was not refound.

Prairie Warbler (Essex): One bird was reported from Point Pelee on
September 13.
Prairie Warbler (Halton): One bird was reported by Ken Musgrave from Bronte
Bluffs Park on September 17.
Prairie Warbler (Peterborough): One bird was reported from Sandy Point on
Pigeon Lake on September 19 by Dave Milsom.

Report compiled by Mike Burrell from a variety of sources, primarily eBird;
most other sources are listed here:
http://ofo.ca/site/content/ontario-hotlines-and-news
--
Ontbirds and Birdnews are moderated email Listservs provided by the Ontario
Field Ornithologists (OFO) as a service to all birders in Ontario.

Birdnews is reserved for announcements, location summaries, first of year
reports, etc. To post a message on Birdnews, send an email to:
birdnews@ontbirds.ca.

If you have any questions or concerns, contact the Birdnews Moderators by email
at birdn...@ofo.ca. Please review posting rules and guidelines at
http://ofo.ca/site/content/listserv-guidelines

To find out more about OFO, please visit our website at ofo.ca or Facebook page
at https://www.facebook.com/OntarioFieldOrnithologists.