On Sun, 2002-12-08 at 22:45, Jan Schaumann wrote:

> None of these files, however, has anything to do with setting the
> background of the login screen - refer to the manual and documentation
> of gdm for what files you need to modify for that.

I had a vague memory that with 0.50 I used ImageMagic's display command
at .xsession to show a background image on my desktop. I guess this has
changed since or my memories serve me wrong.

Well, let's see...

There is no documentation or FAQ at http://blacboxwm.sourceforge.net.

Okay, found the /usr/share/doc/blackbox-0.65.0/README.bsetbg. So, I can
use it just like display to change my background. But still no info
about how I could have it done automatically when I log in. And the
mentioned URL for bsetbg home page (http://lordzork.com/blackbox/) does
not work.

Let's try the man pages. It does not say anything about changing just
the background image, but it talks a bit about styles. So maybe I have
to edit a style and change it's background? I tried to creating a new
style at ~/.blackbox/Styles, but that did now show up in my menu. So I
copied it at /usr/share/blackbox/styles/ as root. Now it showed up. I
made the rootCommand to run bsetbg and show my background pic. Finally I
got what I wanted.

Did this go as intentend? I hope not, as it is not very convient if one
must have root access to change the desktop background... And I wouldn't
say that a linux newbie would achieve this task with RTFM instructions
quite easily. Or maybe I have missed some docs or something here...?

Regards,
Peter