On Thu, 2010-01-14 at 22:01 -0800, Johnneylee Rollins wrote:
> So what you're saying here is I can just use my lgs build and it will
> work on other computers of the same architecture?

Within limits. Binaries built on one machine will run on another,
assuming you're not trying to run a build heavily optimised for the
latest processors on an old 486.

The major challenge is hardware, and more specifically, the ability to
boot off that hardware. LFS builds are generally targeted at a
particular hardware configuration - support for certain drivers built
in, and the root filesystem hardcoded into /etc/fstab.

To be portable, things need to be a bit smarter, a bit more flexible.
For a LiveCD for example, you need first to be able to work out which
device has the root filesystem on it, and second, need to have driver
support for that device. This is why pretty much all distros use an
initrd or initramfs - too complicated a subject to go into much detail
on, but essentially a mechanism for providing those smarts at the very
beginning of the boot process.

Simon.