On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 10:16:50AM -0500, Richard Morse wrote:

> On Thursday, February 27, 2003, at 08:03  AM, Bob Mariotti wrote:
>
> >1) no dialog box appears and the file is automatically downloaded and
> >stored in some obscure directory somewhere where the user cannot find
> >it; ow 2) a dialog box will appear but the directory setting is
> >obscure and the filename is the name of the perl cgi program.

> For issue 2, I've been having problems with this recently as well.  It
> used to be that it was sufficient to make sure that the URL ended with
> the filename -- I would often write scripts that included a pointless
> redirect to the exact same place with '/filename.ext' appended to the
> end of the query string.  It may still work for some browsers.
>
> But if you do find a solution for setting the filename, I'd like to
> know...

I used the 'Content-Disposition' header [1] for a long time, but eventually gave
up and simply appended the filename to the url because some versions of IE ignore the
the headers altogether. I think it was a workaround to fix the IE content-disposition
insecurity
problem, but I don't really know why.

Appending the filename to the url works with all browsers, AFAIK.

I never tried using both, but that may also work.

[1] ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc1806.txt

-Gyepi