On Tue, 2003-12-16 at 14:52, runester wrote:
> When you want to write something with a GUI ... what do you use?
> PERL/TK? PERL with WinLib? Something else entirely (like JAVA)?
>
> I'd really like to leverage my knowledge of PERL before learning an
> entirely new programming language, just so I can have a UI. Since most
> of my work is done on Windows machines, I have been writing HTA's with
> JavaScript and using the HTML for building my interfaces ... but there
> are serious limitations!
>
> I don't need UI that often, but when I do I am left in quite the
> quandry. Any insight would be appreciated.

I have never worked with it in production, but I did play with
developing a UI for Perl using Qt over the summer. It seemed to work
quite well and is (supposedly) portable cross platform. There are some
licensing issues that you may need to consider if using this for work as
Qt is a commercial product.

I'm running SuSE so I already had the whole Qt developer package handy
and getting the Qt modules from CPAN installed was trivial. The best
part of this, for me, was discovering that I could use the Qt developer
GUI builder (classic widget assembly IDE) to build up the windows, lists
etc and define the basic actions, then use an existing tool which
converts the XML Qt project files into a Perl module framework for you!
I had functional little test apps & was adding my own code & actions on
the first day. :)

--
Sean Quinlan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>