In a message dated 3/20/2004 8:04:07 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I just recently bought an oversixed softback book that
> the binding has failed on. I could just take it back
> and order a new copy, but then I'd have to wait for
> it...
>
> Anyone have experience preserving the binding on these
> kinds of books, or repairing them when they fail like
> this? What kinds of materials should I use? I have
> other (irreplacable) books where this is happening as
> well, so the technique has added importance...
>
> Damon.
>
> =====

Vinal glue.

There's an expensive source specifically designed for books available through
Brodart--the people that make all those dustjacket covers.

And I don't know if there's that much difference from the vinal glue
available at a general hobby/craft store.

It's an easy repair if you mean that the cover has seperated from the pages,
but that there are no loose pages.

For loose pages, you may want to spread the glue out on scrap cardboard, and
then dip the edge of the page onto the glue.

Sometimes for a cracked spine you want to reverse the process and use the
edge of a scrap piece of construction paper to get the glue to the spine without
having it spread to the pages.

William Taylor
G. F. Armoury Books