At 10:48 PM Sunday 5/28/2006, Bryon Daly wrote:
[snip for brevity]

When I saw this knife amnesty story, I was immediately reminded of the JMS's
notes.  Outlawed knives seems to fit with that.

As far as how can knives be outlawed and still have kitchen knives...maybe
not for long....http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4581871.stm
But aside from the nanny doctors calling for the kitchen knife ban,

I suspect that in a majority of the cases in which kitchen knives are involved, the kitchen in question is in the mutual residence of the cutter and the cuttee. IOW, that or any other weapon of opportunity is used during a domestic argument, probably fueled by EtOH (and not the kind some people suggest as automobile fuel . . . ).

 it seems
the operative point to the law as described is "public place", so presumably
a knife in a kitchen an perhaps a machete in a garden are OK.

Until someone comes up with the idea of "secondhand sharpness" being a danger to non-knife-users and children . . .

--Ronn!  :)

"Since I was a small boy, two states have been added to our country and two words have been added to the pledge of Allegiance... UNDER GOD. Wouldn't it be a pity if someone said that is a prayer and that would be eliminated from schools too?"
   -- Red Skelton

(Someone asked me to change my .sig quote back, so I did.)