Hi,

  This email is resolution for this thread, on the off-chance someone sees it,
and ever wonders what happened, while investigating their own issues.

  The below scenario was not as it seemed, I made mistake while pulling the
milliseconds from the timestamps, the INSERT of the service ticker DID happen
between the login-test-1, creating the ticket, and login-test-2 trying to
validate the ticket.

  A separate email is coming to cover our specific, real, fault.

On 07/10/2011, at 10:15 AM, David Clarke wrote:

> On 07/10/2011, at 1:42 AM, Marvin Addison wrote:
>
>>> 11:42:18.547 - login-test-1 records service ticket creation
>>> 11:42:18.642 - login-test-2 records an attempt to use the service ticket
>>> 11:42:18.738 - mysql binary shows an INSERT for the ticket creation
>>
>> *head explodes*
>>
>> Service ticket creation is transactional by nature, yet the sequence
>> above seems to indicate that the ticket is returned and validated
>> prior to the end of the transaction started in the first step.
>> Assuming your timestamps across these three systems are close enough
>> such that the sequence above is in fact the real sequence of events,
>> it would indicate some inexplicable transaction handling behavior by
>> your database.  I'm not a MySQL expert, but I'd expect transaction
>> handling to behave as expected here, so that explanation is a long
>> shot.  I'd question clock synchronization long before I'd question
>> your database doing something boneheaded.  I can say the most common
>> cause of the error you cited is that the client fails to validate the
>> ticket before its expiration period, which is 10s by default (3.4.10
>> and recent versions anyway).
>

>  I guess I didn't make it explicit enough, but the DB timestamp, as to when
> the insert occurs, is based upon the CREATION_TIME field within the insert,
> not upon the date/time of the mysql server.  As far as I can see, the
> CREATION_TIME field is populated by login-test-1 itself.
>
>  That means for timing comparisons, I'm only comparing login-test-1, to
> login-test-2 (The mysql servers own timing is not relevant), and looking at
> ntpstat comparisons suggests they are very close to each other. How close is
> hard to say.
>
>  The worst case yesterday, at the time of the specific instance investigated,
> was that login-test-1, and login-test-2, might have been out of sync from
> each other by as much as 1/10 second, probably with 1/100 second. 10sec
> difference is right out.
>
>  In prior instances of this fault, a refresh of the page, on the webservice
> using CAS, allowed the session to go on and work fine, so it shouldn't be
> ticket timeout. Yesterday I don't know if the page refresh was done.
>
>  The thing I think I might be questioning, is whether the process of
> generating a ticket, and storing it in the DB, is asynchronous or not.

=======================================
David Clarke
Java Team
Information Technology Infrastructure