> After
> putting in the Service URL, the users authenticate without incident, but
> when the users are redirected back to the application

Sounds like CAS authentication has succeeded.  You can confirm this by
seeing "granted ST-12345... for https://your.service.edu"; and a
subsequent "successfully validated ST-12345..." in the CAS server
logs.  If you see both a ticket being issued and validated, that's
definitive proof that CAS authentication has succeeded and it's an
application problem.

> they are receiving an
> Error 500 page with the following Stack Trace:
> Unexpected DTD declaration. Line 8, position 3.
>
> System.Xml.XmlException LineNumber: 8 LinePosition: 3 Message: Unexpected
> DTD declaration. Line 8, position 3. StackTrace: at
> System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e) at
> System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String arg) at
> System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent() at
> System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read() at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read() at
> System.Xml.XmlReader.MoveToContent() at
> System.Xml.XmlReader.IsStartElement() at _Default.Page_Load(Object sender,
> EventArgs e) at

You're at Page_Load, which is further evidence that CAS authentication
has succeeded.  Let me offer an explanation for this particular stack
trace: XML parsers are very strict about disallowing whitespace (or
any content for that matter) to precede an XML declaration.  I see
that the parser is indicating an error at line _8_, which suggests to
me that there's some other content prior to the declaration.  This
happens commonly with templating languages (e.g. aspx files with
embedded code) where there are logical expressions preceding the start
of content:

<%@ Import Namespace="System.Net" %>
<!DOCTYPE...>

The line feeds on the first line line are preserved, which creates
whitepsace before the XML processing instruction in the response.
This sounds entirely like an application problem that has nothing to
do with CAS if that hypothesis is correct.