On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 10:17 AM, Ben Branch <bbra...@uco.edu> wrote:
> I've reviewed the shib-cas-authenticator project and that looks very
> interesting.  I had a few more questions with regards to the Shibboleth-CAS
> integration.  Our main use for this will be for services that do not use CAS
> for authentication, but prefer to use Shibboleth.  Our goal is to have an
> environment where we can use both CAS based services and Shibboleth based
> services.  We feel that this will increase our ability to accept hosted
> solutions and broaden our scope of applications for which we can use.

Indeed!

>  So, my question...is the Shib-CAS Authenticator project meant to be a total
> replacement for CAS or is it merely a couple of java webapps that we deploy
> with our existing CAS deployment?

shib-cas-authenticator is essentially a plug-in for your Shib IdP that
provides better (meaning more SAML to CAS bridging behavior) than the
RemoteUser authentication method described in
https://wiki.jasig.org/display/CASUM/Shibboleth-CAS+Integration.

>  My second question is, if we follow the Shib-CAS integration document on the
> CAS Wiki, will it also help us achieve the goals I've stated above?

Yes, either approach will enable users to access Shib SP or CAS client
protected sites.  The shib-cas-authenticator would also preserve the
Forced Auth (renew=true) and isPassive (gateway) behavior of SAML
authN requests.

> And if so, under the "Modify IDP Deployable web.xml", is this speaking of the
> CAS web.xml or the Shibboleth IDP web.xml?

This is the IdPs web.xml and is for configuring the CAS client that
sits in front of the IdP.

Best,
Bill