I am using CAS 3.1.3 (yes I know, prehistoric) and love it.

I have an application that must execute a bit of code after the user logged in,
regardless of what page he is going to.  For example, it could check his birth
date in the database and set a bday flag in the session so that all pages would
display "Happy Birthday" on the right day.

We used to have this code executed from a custom UserDetailsService, but
failures (either database connectivity or bad data in our DB) were interfering
with the login process.  So I'm looking for something more resilient that can
be executed *after* the login is complete, perhaps when the spring controllers
are getting ready to display the page.

I can think of a few ways to do this but I was wondering if there is a
recommended approach?