We've gone the O365 <-> ADFS <-> Shib <-> CAS route and although it can
be a bit of work to get configured, I think it's the best of both worlds
- full compatibility with Microsoft applications (including all the
desktop clients) through ADFS and compatibility with other Shibboleth
institutions (InCommon, etc). Here's some tips to get everything working
together - if you'd like more details let me know.

Thanks for sharing these details, Eric. I've been personally curious how you did things, and I'm sure other folks will benefit from the implementation sketch as well.

Best,