My understanding was that despite it being the "official" mechanism,
SAML is for the most part deprecated

Absolutely not. It may be deprecated at some (distant) future date, but
many folks are happily using the SAML support in many clients for
attribute release. No server or client customizations needed.

most people are extending the CAS 2.0 protocol to supply attributes
rather than using SAML

I don't think we have any numbers. I'd be happy to start a thread asking
for folks to speak up to get a sense, but from past experience it's hard
to gauge accurately with self reporting.