> I am not sure why Ellucian did not make use of a key-ref, but there it is.
> I think an explanation of why attribute filters are defined in both places
> would be of great help to me .. this has always been murky in my
> understanding.

I've read your original post a couple times and I'm not entirely clear
on the use case. I do understand, however, the need for
LinkedAuthenticationHandlerAndCredentialsToPrincipalResolverAuthenticationManager
and key-ref in your case. That component is needed whenever you have
two credential classes of the same type (UsernamePasswordCredentials
are used to authenticate to both SunDS and AD) but you need different
principal resolution methods. The solution is to switch on the
authentication handler, by reference, that successfully authenticated
the credentials. Thus the reference (key-ref) to the authentication
handler. You're using the authentication handler to select the
principal resolver that refers to the same directory that
authenticated the user.