Thank you so much for the reply. Here is what I have done:

   - Removed the reference to ldap.properties
   from propertyFileConfigurer.xml
   - Hard-coded all the variable values I had in ldap.properties into
   deployerConfigContext.xml
   - Set ldapPoolConfig property "validateOnCheckOut" to true, as otherwise
   it causes a "Validator configured, but no validate flag has been set" error
   - Rebuilt the project

Now I get a new error trying to create the bindConnectionPool bean:

Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error
creating bean with name 'bindConnectionPool' defined in ServletContext
resource [/WEB-INF/deployerConfigContext.xml]: Invocation of init method
failed; nested exception is java.lang.IllegalStateException: Could not
initialize pool size

I have attached the new deployerConfigContext.xml with the LDAP password
redacted. Note I am not using LDAPS in the lab so I have set useStartTLS to
false and have not defined an SSL certificate path. Any ideas what is
causing this new error?

Daniel.