> Second, the massive number of  STs are being created on only one server
> (we can tell by the host name in the logged ST) but the OTHER SERVER is
> where the memory is growing out of bounds.

I'm still working through this thread, but I wanted to point out that the
other is hurting likely because of load balancer session affinity. Recall
that ticket validation is a back-channel call, and the network source
differs from that of the user's browser. In our environment, services
typically get stuck on one node causing hot spots. This is because the
service is validating tickets frequently enough that the session affinity
timeout never kicks in.