To be clear in Step 4, are you sure that the user is never redirected to
the external service -- i.e. that when you POST back to /cas/login?...
you're simply being served up the success page (200) and not 302'd to
the vendor and then bounced back again? Based on your history, it seems
most likely that the vendor doesn't support TLS in their ticket
validation stack (we've seen that here), and they could just be
redirecting generically to your CAS site as a panic azimuth when ticket
validation fails.  But, that of course assumes that the browser is
hitting their server at some point in the timeline in order to pass the
ticket.