Hi Deliang,

I have an experience with soft crystals:

I used to work with a protein which crystallized fine and diffracted
fine. However, after opening the crystallization well few times,
crystals turned soft and they stopped diffracting. If I remember
correctly, letting crystals sit for a long time (without opening the
wells) also caused "softening" of crystals. I suspected polymerization
but did not experiment with it. Adding huge amounts of reducing agent
helped preserve the "hardness" of crystals little longer. Transferring
the crystallizations experiments into the cold room also helped.

Bottom line is that soft crystals didn't diffract.

Good luck,

Nukri

Ruslan Sanishvili (Nukri), Ph.D.

GM/CA-CAT, Bld. 436, D007