Dear TY,

Typically between 5-10x molar concentration over the protein is enough to
ensure binding when the IC50 is uM to low mM. For tighter binding compounds (nM
to low uM), 2-5x is sufficient. Whatever you do, when the precipitate occurs DO
NOT REMOVE it. I learned to my chagrin that you change all the dynamics of the
drop when you do. I ended up with empty crystals until I left the precipitate
in place. Think of it this way-

Free protein + compound ↔ protein:compound complex + precipitate (mix of
protein + compound)

If you change the equilibrium by removing the precipitate, you remove the
“pressure” on the P:C complex, and it will dissociate to P + C. The precipitate
acts as a reserve of protein and compound, thus favoring (or stabilizing) the
P:C complex. I set drops up as a slurry frequently, and if I get crystals, they
always have the compound bound. Pay attention to the drops if you are
screening, because it will be important to note what makes the precipitated
solution better (clear drops=solubilizing) or worse (aggregated drops=decreased
solubility of your complex). You can also try suspending your compound in LMW
PEG’s (200-400 FW) instead of DMSO. Either way, try using DMSO (~20%) or LMW
PEG (~30%) depending on your crystallization conditions as a cryoprotectant.
Any crystals that grow have some small amount of those agents in them already,
so they should be more tolerant of them in higher concentrations.

Best of luck!

Bryan