James,

this may be one of those physics-vs-math arguments again.  Surely the
occupancy can be used to account for everything, but it makes it a fudge
factor.  I'd say the right way is to use the adjusted scattering factors
first (after all, that is something we do know about the experiment),
and if there is still a residual density then one cannot distinguish
between radiation damage and partial Se-Met incorporation and has to
resort to occupancy, realizing that it's meaning is somewhat unclear.

Cheers,

Ed.

--
Edwin Pozharski, PhD, Assistant Professor
University of Maryland, Baltimore