It's also possible that there's oxidation in the buffer causing the yellow
color. I'm not sure how common this is with HEPES. But I see it all the time
with MOPS. Alternatively, does the yellow color bind the column during
purification? If so, then it sounds like a co-purified flavin or protein.

Best regards,
Reginald McNulty