I'm not convinced that you need a conventional buffer at pH 2 or 3.  At pH 2,
the hydrogen ion concentration is 10 mM.  If you want to use something else,
the second pKa for sulfuric acid is around 2.  The first pKa for phosphoric
acid is slightly higher than 2.  Lactic acid has a pKa close to 3.  Formic acid
has a pKa just under 4.  Most of these numbers were in an appendix in the first
chemistry text you ever used.  <wink>  These numbers imply pretty strongly that
most crystallization screens emphasizing common salts will require determined
modification to hit these low pH values, because many stabilizing anions in the
Hoffmeister series will be partially or completely protonated at these pH
values.  PEG and organic screens will require a smaller hammer to retrofit.