Dear all,

I am trying to express a eukatiotic protein (E. coli codon optimized sequence)
with a GST tag at the N-terminus. I always get my overexpressed protein and a
contaminant around 60kDa. This contaminant is not washed out of the column when
washing glutathione beads with 1M NaCl-buffer. However, during o/n incubation
with proteases that cleave the GST off (thrombin or TEV), the contaminant is in
the soluble fraction.....

Has someone had this experience? I know about contaminants that bind to Ni2+
when overexpressing a His-tagged protein, but this is the first time I get such
thing with a GST-tagged protein.

One could think that that "contaminant" could be a protein that binds to my
overexpressed protein, but I do not think so, cause I always get a huge band of
the contaminant, independently on the amount of the protein of interest....
Many thanks in advance for all your suggestions and sorry for asking about
non-crystallographic topics.
Regards,

Maria

María José Sánchez-Barrena, PhD

Departamento de Cristalografía y Biología Estructural.

Instituto de Química Física Rocasolano. CSIC

Serrano 119. 28006 Madrid (Spain)