Cacodylate, being an arsenic compound, is moderately toxic. You do have to ingest it, however, for it to be toxic. Normal lab protection should be sufficient. It is any more concerning to me than lithium salts, mercury, acrylamide, ethidium bromide, etc.

Having said that, we usually abandon it as a buffer when optimizing conditions that include it. Typically, substituting 0.1 M MES pH 6.5 for cacodylate, pH 6.5, is inconsequential for crystallization for most proteins, but of course there are always going to be exceptions. Cacodylate will react with thiols, and this can complicate crystallization from solutions that contain high concentrations of DTT or beta-ME. Cacodylate can also bind to thiol groups on proteins. (This may be a plus or a minus, depending on your point of view.)

Cheers,

_______________________________________
Roger S. Rowlett
Gordon & Dorothy Kline Professor