Hi Javier,

 You're on the exact odd nature of crystals of macromolecules, i.e. the solvent
content. Small molecule crystallographers have been FREEZING crystals in LiqN2
for data collection long before the method was introduced to macromolecular
crystallography. This works perfectly well, since there is no disordered water
in those crystals (at least in the ones I'm more familiar with, from my organic
chemistry days) and there is no need for any cryoprotectant. In crystals  of
macromolecules we want to prevent the solvent from freezing and form an ice
lattice that will destroy our crystals, hence we use cryoprotectants which
cause the ice to be vitirified (maybe, in any case not to crystallize). So we
end up with a crystal of macromolecule with vitrified solvent. How we call this
entity is one thing  and how we call the operation is another thing (some very
creative suggestions have been made during the thread). So while vitrified
crystal may well sound oxymoron linguistically, it may represent our true
reality as protein crystallographers. And finally, I can't resist either: how
about vitristal for what we get as the result of cryo-protection and freezing?

 Cheers,

          Boaz

Boaz Shaanan, Ph.D.

Dept. of Life Sciences

Ben-Gurion University of the Negev

Beer-Sheva 84105

Israel

E-mail: bshaa...@bgu.ac.il

Phone: 972-8-647-2220  Skype: boaz.shaanan

Fax:   972-8-647-2992 or 972-8-646-1710