In the 1975 paper, they describe taking crystals to -100C, but it wasn't done in a
"flash" sort of way.  They equilibrated the crystals with various solvent
combinations as the temperature was reduced.

Trying to recollect what was discussed by my lab mates nearly 40 years ago, I
think the fact that the crystals were mounted in capillaries caused
difficulties with plunging the crystals into liquid N2.  We never tried it, but
the thought of what would happen to the glass, etc was enough to keep us from
doing the experiment.

I think the reason it took years before people started routine flash cooling of
crystals was because it was expensive and hard to do.  You needed to buy a
crystal cooling device, and you had to invest the time and energy in developing
cryo-solutions. People were more excited about seeing the next interesting
structure, and room temperature experiments were good enough for that.

Ron