On Wed, 2013-01-23 at 01:54 -0700, James Stroud wrote:
> On Jan 22, 2013, at 11:20 PM, Nat Echols wrote:
> > The real difficulty is integrating Macs into a
> > Linux-centric environment, for example configuring NFS, NIS, etc.
>
> That's because NFS and NIS are antiquities left over from the days of
> mainframes. Distributed file systems and user information databases
> are designed for an environment of many workers and few machines, when
> the typical graphics workstation cost $50,000. These days, we argue
> whether to spend an extra $200 on a $500 computer. We have moved to a
> new paradigm: many workers with many more machines, with each machine
> having essentially mainframe levels of storage and computing power.

Technically there is something in what you say as a pattern for
day-to-day work (for some people, although not all), but I think that
describing the debate in terms of modern vs. antiquated is missing the
point completely. The real difference between local vs. centralised
storage is to do with responsibility for the hardware and the data that
it contains.

Local workstation storage is OK for the following kinds of cases:

(i) the data that are stored locally have no value, so it doesn't matter
if they are lost (either through hardware failure, misbehaving software
or accidental deletion).

(ii) the user has the expertise and the time to set up and maintain a
strategy for recovering data that are lost from local disks

(iii) the institution that the user works for allows the user to include
data on local workstation disks in the institution's regular backup
operations

When none of these apply, there is a real, contemporary case for using
something like NFS, where the storage is centrally maintained and backed
up. The cost of storage has fallen of course, but what that means is
that the real questions now are about the value of the data. In some
fields, you could store your entire career's data on a few USB memory
sticks, but I doubt that many people would want to do that without
having made other copies somewhere else, and the same applies to local
workstation storage too :-).

There are other considerations in favour of connecting a workstation to
networked services: if you use more than one machine it can be an
incredible pain to be constantly moving data around from one to the
other, and to keep track of what the authoritative versions are. Having
independent, local user id's and passwords on every workstation can also
cause difficulties. I could go on....

> In other words, instead of NFS, you should run git.

This is simply not an option for many crystallographers, who do not have
a background in software development or data management. Advocating and
supporting git (or indeed any content/version management system) for
those kind of users is a losing battle: they see it as an unnecessary
complication to their daily work, and will avoid using it as far as they
can.

Regards,
Peter.

--
Peter Keller                                     Tel.: +44 (0)1223 353033
Global Phasing Ltd.,                             Fax.: +44 (0)1223 366889